RE: Locking down user downloads

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:08:44 -0500

Nah, it's pretty easy.  With the introduction of XP (with Remote Desktop
and Remote Assistance), it made my role infinitely easier.  Of the 1500,
over 1200 are on the network, making remote management possible.  I can
sit at my desk (or at home, logging in via Remote Access), turn on any
(or all) the computers, log into them, and do whatever I need to do.
Whenever I can, I automate the work, batch files and scripts are
invaluable tools.  Any non time-sensitive updates are done via login
script.  Any new software is installed whenever possible via GPO.
Security updates are down automatically every night with SUS.

Since most all of them are new (leased) computers, actual maintenance is
very minimal.  Like I stated before, if I can't fix a computer problem
in a few minutes, we just re-image the computer and start over.  To cut
down on software installations, we allow certain groups of people to be
local administrators on the computers, and let them install their own
software, provided they send us a copy of the license.  If they mess it
up with installing software, we just re-image it.

The only "problem" we run into is logistics.  We swap out roughly a
third of these each summer for new systems.  We calculated one year that
we moved about 10 tons of computers during the summer months alone.  So,
since they insisted in cutting our staff, we started budgeting for
temporary workers... Hehehehehe