Re: Load Emulator

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 08:03:36 -0700

Simply throwing random packets at a firewall tells you little about its
performance capabilities, since each environment will stress it differently.
Some folks want web caching, while others are interested in serving
streaming video, and still others are interested in VPN hardening.
None of these folks should use the same tools to "load test" their ISA
deployments, because the traffic profile is too different.
Add in the fact that almost no one uses ISA for a single protocol, and you
can see why no single tool is the "correct" one.
You have to have some idea of the expected load or your simulation is nearly
meaningless.

Actually, I'm not the author of BlockAttacker, just the go-between.  I do
that for several of the tools posted at ISATools.org; it's the way the
authors want it.
If I understand you correctly, you want the script to create blocking packet
filters on every server in an array?

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver