RE: Linux vs ms article

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:04:39 -0600

<cents value="two">
If I went to downtwon in my city and didn't lock my vehicle doors, I should
*expect* everything to be stolen. Admins should expect the worst and hope for
the best, just as you would going to a dangerous town.
Should I be blamed for the stealing it, no, however I didn't put up my best to
stop them either.
A part of me is torn between people needing a license to use a computer. I
understand the pro's and con's, but this is one of the reasons.
If my sstuff gets stolen becuase I didn't know I had locks or was supposed to
lock my truck, and I went to a city that I never been to before, what should I
do? hmm.

Thats my perspective.... I have mixed feelings.
</cents value="two">
<rant>
Off topci, about another email on the list, I have two mainstream linux people
at where I work. One is one of those dangerous ones, the other is a very calm
person  (who gave Windows another shot a month ago).
AFter he said that Windows itself was inheretnly crackable, I told him my
slackware box is also breakle (ssh and sendmail exploits) out of the box. He
replied, those don't deal with the kernel. I replied, messenger service isn't
the kernel either, it's just that. A service.
I wish people wouldn't be so arrogant. BTW, a quick way to learn if your Linux
or Windows advocates are actually on the ball, ask detailed history question.
Usually most only read articles and only get half the story and jump to
conclusions and spread FUD...

</rant>

Have a wonderful day.

Kenny Mann