RE: Linksys in front of ISA...

  • From: "James May" <Jmay@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:28:44 -0700

I have sbs 2000 running pppoe using raspppoe software and dyasite with
dyndns.org. It works real well.

This is how I set mine up

Unbind tcp ip from the external nic this helps me because the with sbs
server isa in running on the DC,it seems to boot faster this
way...otherwise it takes 5 min to get past the preparing network
connections screen during startup. You can also give it a bogus ip
address one that's not part of the LAT no gateway.

Make sure pppoe is bound to the external nic only if you are running the
raspppoe on windows 2000 then pppoe shows up in the nic properties
window. Also reducing the MTU size to 1492 or 1480 this  will help the
performance of the server. If you are using windows 2003 server you can
use the network connection wizard to connect to the isp the MTU size is
1480 by default in winxp and ser2003.

I have a internal web running on this test network published using
destinations sets the only problem is the web proxy service needs to be
restarted after the pppoe connection is made so the service can bind to
port 80.

On startup raspppoe makes the connection then dyasite runs a batch file
to restart the web proxy service to bind port80 to the service....30 sec
later the dyssite software updates the dns servers on the internet. This
web publishing experiment is relatively new on my network but I have
been using sbs for 2 years with raspppoe with no router in-between the
isa and the isp.

My wife and my son both connect to net through the isa server for open
battle net and internet browsing all seems to work real well even when
the pppoe gets dropped once in awhile the dyasite software reconnects
unless there is problem with the isp.

Jim