Layer 2 VPN device? Resend

  • From: "Jeff Sloan" <jsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ISALists" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:56:59 -0500

 I didn't get any hits on this at all. Just retrying.

     Does anyone know of an affordable device that would provide Layer 2
VPN through the internet.

        I am not looking for a dedicated network solution, but something
that will just work across the internet.

        And how might it affect the ISA server we already use?
        Would it go outside the ISA or inside it?
        My guess is inside it.

        My phone system is a layer two network solution out of the box.
(3Com NBX)
        Although it has voice over IP that could be turned on, it would
require a hardware VPN box for each external user to be on our system,
and some functions that use multicast would not work.
        Between two states we have a dedicated t1, and Cisco switches
set to layer two bridging, and that works great, but we are about to get
rid of the t1 line for cost reasons, and go to DSL and VPN.

        Since we are going to have to get VPN appliances (3Com DSL
secure gateway routers, $268) I thought about doing a search for layer 2
VPNs, and found several hits, but they seem to be dedicated to large
service providers and such.

        Have you guys heard of anything?

        Thanks

        Jeff Sloan