RE: Kind of OT: Software-based vs. Hardware-based Firewall

  • From: "Han Valk" <Han.Valk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:19:24 +0200

Hi Thomas,

Since you seem to possess the ultimate wisdom on the subject, please educate
me.

What do you mean with:

"Note that I put publish in quotes. ISA Server 2004 firewall policy provides
two methods you can use to control traffic moving through the firewall:
Access Rules and Publishing Rules. Access Rules can participate in a route or
NAT relationship. Publishing Rules always NAT the connection, even if you're
using a public address segment and have a route relationship between the
source and destination host."

"Even though we are using public IP addresses, NAT is performed because we're
using a publishing rule. This allows the Internet host to connect to the IP
address on the external interface of the ISA Server 2004 firewall and
effectively hides the IP address of the DMZ host. This NAT hiding is a common
security measure for publicly available servers."

"Before finishing out this discussion, I should mention that you do lose a
amount of security for certain scenarios when you decide to use Access Rules
instead of publishing rules to allow access to your DMZ hosts, to the extent
where the ISA Server 2004 provides little more security than a PIX or
Netscreen device."

"Server publishing rules expose incoming connections to the application layer
filters dedicated to protecting specific services. Examples include the SMTP
filter that blocks buffer overflow attacks, the DNS filter which blocks a
number of DNS exploits, and the POP3 filter which blocks POP3 buffer
overflows. If you use Access Rules to publish the public address DMZ hosts,
the application layer filters will not protect you against these exploits."

I think it say's that unless I want to NAT important application layer
filters are _not_ available (except HTTP).
I'm sorry that I have a few points of criticism on ISA2004. I didn't know
that was forbidden. And for your information no I'm not an employee of Cisco
or any other firewall manufacturer. I've been working with and certified on
Proxy 2.0 and ISA2000.
On the other hand being a list member for quite long I must say I'm not
impressed with your social skills.

Han.