RE: KB 832017

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:47:07 +0200

Hi Thor,

The source port on incoming packets *can* be UDP 4500 (i.e. if only 1:1 NAT
is done along the path) but is definitely not the case if N:1 NAT (or PAT)
is done along the path. The goal of NAT-T is to pass IPSec traffic through
any NAT device, whether it is doing NAT (1:1) or PAT (N:1). So, checking the
source port on incoming NAT-T packets might break NAT-T.

Moreover, you will *never* see L2TP (UDP 1701) on the wire because the L2TP
protocol is hidden within the ESP packets, and if NAT-T is used, the ESP
packet is just the payload of the NAT-T packets.

HTH,
Stefaan