RE: John Tolmachoff's article regarding secure webs- ites

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:37:04 -0700

> The problem is occuring for two users (they are the only two people in the
> office who use fedex.com). Both machines have XP SP1a and IE 6 SP1. The
> updates mentioned in John's original article would not take on either
> machine; the alert box stated that those updates could not be installed if
> a specific previous update was not installed. I did do a windows update on
> each machine, and the prescribed registry modification.

The problem about the alert box has occurred with slight differences between
SP1 and SP1a as well as rerelease of one of the patches. It found, can be
ignored and only the registry setting is needed.

However:

> At this point, I've also tried the certificate revocation changes and the
> Temporary Internet Settings changes. Still no luck achieving consistent
> navigation capability on fedex.com. Cookies are enabled on both computers.
> The company has 764kbps ADSL line and about 20 workstations. I'm not sure
> where to go from here -- it feels like I've almost completely exhausted my
> options. Should I reinstall SP1a on the client machines? Anything I might
> have overlooked?

This is a different problem. Do you have a dynamic IP address on the WAN
side? How often does it change? Is the ISP Ameritech or SBC? Do you have to
use PPPoE?

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You