Re: Intrusion allert, any help/idea is much appreciated

  • From: "Mark T. Barringer" <Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark T. Barringer" <Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:36:40 -0400

I see this guy in my logs as well.  10 to 1 that he's just another
teenager who found some port scan software in a IRC chat room somewhere.
Most of these port scans are harmless and just the hackers playing with
their toys.  However, some of these scans are used to determine just
which method of attack would be best.  Fortunately, ISA (properly
configured) will prevent these scans and notify you of the attack.  At
the very least there should have been an event generated, but you could
configure it to send mail or start an app also.

Honestly, I ignore most of these unless they seem to be repeating over
and over.  The biggest offenders I see are SMTP spammers.  I got a guy
now in the UK trying to relay some 4000 addresses off me to sell his
Bulk E-Mailer Software.  No valid e-mail addresses of domain names so I
had to contact his ISP.  Yeah, I'm sitting here just waiting to hear how
helpful his UK based ISP is going to be in resolving this one...  Just
as a heads up, I have attached the SPAM mail to this e-mail.  The
connections are coming from the 212.1.*.* subnet and are HTML
connections.  Send SPAM abuse reports to 'abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', the ISP
is as follows;

Telinco Internet Services plc (TELINCO2-DOM)
   Sirius House Alderly Road
   Chelford N/A, SK11 9AP
   UK

   Domain Name: TELINCO.NET

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Telinco  (TE360-ORG)  naming@xxxxxxxxxxx
      Telinco Plc
      Sirius House, Alderley Road
      Chelford, Cheshire SK11 9AP
      UK
      +44 (0)1625 862 200
      Fax- - +44 (0)1625 860 251

-Mark

Email Advertise to 28,000,000 People for FREE
Act Now Before 6pm PST on Monday, April 29th
and Receive a FREE $899.00 Bonus

1) Let's say you... Sell a $24.95 PRODUCT or SERVICE.
2) Let's say you... Broadcast Email FREE to 500,000 PEOPLE DAILY.
3) Let's say you... Receive JUST 1 ORDER for EVERY 2,500 EMAILS.

CALCULATION OF YOUR EARNINGS BASED ON THE ABOVE STATISTICS:
[Day 1]: $4,990 [Week 1]: $34,930 [Month 1]: $139,720

----- ---- --- -- - -
You now know why you receive so many email advertisements...
===> BROADCAST EMAIL ADVERTISING IS EXTREMELY PROFITABLE!

1) What if you... Sell a $99.95 PRODUCT or SERVICE?
2) What if you... Broadcast Email to 30,000,000+ PEOPLE MONTHLY?
3) What if you... Receive 1 ORDER for EVERY 250 EMAILS?

Just IMAGINE => DAY 30! ==> WEEK 30!! ===> MONTH 30!!!

==> The PROFITS that Broadcast Email CAN GENERATE are AMAZING!!

** According to Forrester Research, a Broadcast Email Ad is up
** to 15 TIMES MORE LIKELY to Result in a Sale than a Banner Ad!

----- ---- --- -- - -
[COMPARISON OF INTERNET ADVERTISING METHODS]:
=> A 1/20 Page Targeted Web Site Banner Ad to 5 Million People
on the Internet can cost you about $100,000.

=> A 5 Page Targeted Direct Mail Advertisement to 1 Million People
through the Postal Service can cost you about $500,000.

=> A 50 Page Targeted HTML Broadcast Email Advertisement with
Pictures to 50,000,000 People through the Internet is Free.

...Which advertising method sounds most appealing to you?

"Targeted direct email advertising is the wave of the future.
By no other means can you effectively reach your market so
quickly and inexpensively." - ONLINE PROFITS NEWSLETTER

"Many business people are finding out that they can now advertise
in ways that they never could have afforded in the past. The
cost of sending mass e-mail is extremely low, and the response
rate is high and quick." - USA TODAY

---- --- -- - -
[EXAMPLE OF A PERSONALIZED/TARGETED BROADCAST EMAIL]:
-------- ------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
From: kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: mary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: About Your Cat!

Hi Mary,

Are you interested in receiving up to 80% SAVINGS on CAT SUPPLIES?
If so, come visit our web site at: http://www.cattiesinc.com

=> With Broadcast Email Software, a Broadcast Email Advertisement
=> like this one can be AUTOMATICALLY sent to up to 1,000,000
=> PEOPLE on a DAILY BASIS with LESS than 2 MINUTES of YOUR TIME!

* IMT Strategies Reports an AVERAGE of a 16.4% CLICK THROUGH RATE
from users that have received a Broadcast Email Advertisement!

----- ---- --- -- - -
A EUROPEAN 2001 BENCHMARK STUDY
Conducted by Forrester Research Says:

1) 41% of Consumers Believe Email is a Good Way to Find out About
New Products.

2) 36% of Consumers in 13 Countries Read Most of the Promotional
Email they Receive and 9% Forward the Email to a Friend Because
They Think it is Valuable.

---- --- -- - -
BE PREPARED! You may receive A HUGE AMOUNT of orders within
minutes of sending out your first Broadcast Email Advertisement!

* According to Digital Impact, 85% of Broadcast Email Offers are
responded to within the FIRST 48 HOURS!

"When you reach people with e-mail, they're in a work mode, even
if they're not at work. They're sitting up, they're alert. You
catch them at a good moment, and if you do it right, you have a
really good shot of having them respond."
- WILLIAM THAMES [Revnet Direct Marketing VP]

---- --- -- - -
* An Arthur Anderson Online Panel reveals that 85% of Online Users
say that Broadcast Email Advertisements have LED TO A PURCHASE!"

"According to FloNetwork, US Consumers DISCOVER New Products and
Services 7+ TIMES MORE OFTEN through an Email Advertisement,
than through Search Engines, Magazines and Television COMBINED!"

Only a HANDFUL of Companies on the Internet have Discovered
Broadcast Email Advertising... => NOW YOU CAN BE ONE OF THEM!!

---- --- -- - -
=> United Messaging says there are 890+ MILLION EMAIL ADDRESSES!
=> GET READY! Now with Broadcast Email, You Can Reach them ALL
=> Thanks to our Broadcast Email Software!

Our Broadcast Email Software with DNS Technology Automatically
Creates 10 SUPER-FAST MAIL SERVERS on Your COMPUTER which are
then used to Send out Your Broadcast Emails to MILLIONS for FREE!

==> With our NEW EMAIL SENDING TECHNOLOGY...
==> Your Internet Provider's Mail Servers are NOT USED!

There are NO Federal Regulations or Laws on Email Advertising &
Now with Our Software => You Can Avoid Internet Provider Concerns!

=> If you send a Broadcast Email Advertisement to 50,000,000
=> People and Just 1 of 5,000 People Respond, You Can Generate
=> 10,000 EXTRA ORDERS! How Much EXTRA PROFIT is this for You?

------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
As Featured in: "The Boston Globe" (05/29/98),
"The Press Democrat" (01/08/99), "Anvil Media" (01/29/98):
[NIM Corporation Presents]: THE BROADCAST EMAIL PACKAGE
REQUIREMENTS: WIN 95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP or MAC SoftWindows/VirtualPC

[BROADCAST EMAIL SENDER SOFTWARE] ($479.00 Retail):
Our Broadcast Email Sender Software allows you the ability to
send out Unlimited, Personalized and Targeted Broadcast Email
Advertisements to OVER 500,000,000 People on the Internet at
the rate of up to 1,000,000 DAILY, AUTOMATICALLY and for FREE!
Have a List of Your Customer Email Addresses? Broadcast Email
Advertise to Them with our Software for FREE!

[TARGETED EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE] ($299.00 Retail):
Our Targeted Email Extractor Software will Automatically
Navigate through the TOP 8 Search Engines, 50,000+ Newsgroups,
Millions of Web Sites, Deja News, Etc.. and Collect MILLIONS
of Targeted Email Addresses by using the keywords of your
choice! This is the ULTIMATE EXTRACTOR TOOL!

[15,000,000+ EMAIL ADDRESSES] ($495.00 Retail):
MILLIONS of the NEWEST & FRESHEST General Interest and
Regionally Targeted Email Addresses Separated by Area Code,
State, Province, and Country! From Alabama to Wyoming,
Argentina to Zimbabwe! 15,000,000+ FRESH EMAILS are YOURS!

[STEP BY STEP BROADCAST EMAIL PACKAGE INSTRUCTIONS]:
You will be Guided through the Entire Process of Installing
and Using our Broadcast Email Software to Send out Broadcast
Email Advertisements, like this one, to MILLIONS of PEOPLE for
FREE! Even if you have NEVER used a computer before, these
instructions make sending Broadcast Email as EASY AS 1-2-3!

[THE BROADCAST EMAIL HANDBOOK]:
The Broadcast Email Handbook will describe to you in detail,
everything you ever wanted to know about Broadcast Email!
Learn how to write a SUCCESSFUL Advertisement, how to manage
the HUNDREDS of NEW ORDERS you could start receiving, what
sells BEST via Broadcast Email, etc... This Handbook is a
NECESSITY for ANYONE involved in Broadcast Email!

[UNLIMITED CUSTOMER & TECHNICAL SUPPORT]:
If you ever have ANY questions, problems or concerns with
ANYTHING related to Broadcast Email, we include UNLIMITED
Customer & Technical Support to assist you! Our #1 GOAL
is CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!

[ADDITIONAL INFORMATION]:
Our Broadcast Email Software Package contains so many
features, that it would take five additional pages just to
list them all! Duplicate Removing, Automatic Personalization,
and Free Upgrades are just a few of the additional bonuses
included with our Broadcast Email Software Package!

------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
ALL TOGETHER our Broadcast Email Package contains EVERYTHING
YOU WILL EVER NEED for Your Entire Broadcast Email Campaign!

You Will Receive the ENTIRE Broadcast Email Package with
EVERYTHING Listed Above ($1,250.00+ RETAIL) for ONLY $499.00 US!
BUT WAIT!! If You Order by Monday, April 29th, You Will
Receive the Broadcast Email Package for ONLY $295.00 US!!
Order NOW and Receive [13,000,000 BONUS EMAILS] ($899 VALUE)
for FREE for a TOTAL of 28,000,000 FRESH EMAIL ADDRESSES!!

Regardless, if you send to 1,000 or 100,000,000 PEOPLE...

You will NEVER encounter any additional charges ever again!
Our Broadcast Email Software sends Email for a LIFETIME for FREE!

----- ---- --- -- - -
Since 1997, we have been the Broadcast Email Marketing Authority.
Our #1 GOAL is to SEE YOU SUCCEED with Broadcast Email Advertising.

We are so confident about our Broadcast Email Package, that we are
giving you 30 DAYS to USE OUR ENTIRE PACKAGE FOR FREE!

==> You can SEND Unlimited Broadcast Email Advertisements!
==> You can EXTRACT Unlimited Targeted Email Addresses!
==> You can RECEIVE Unlimited Orders!

If you do not receive at least a 300% INCREASE in SALES or are not
100% COMPLETELY SATISFIED with each and every single aspect of our
Broadcast Email Package, simply return it to us within 30 DAYS for
a 100% FULL REFUND, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

Best of ALL, if you decide to keep our Broadcast Email Package, it
can be used as a 100% TAX WRITE OFF for your Business!

---- --- -- - -
See what users of our Broadcast Email Package have to say...

"Since using your program, I have made as much in two days as I
had in the previous two weeks!!!!! I have to say thank you for
this program - you have turned a hobby into a serious money
making concern."
= W. ROGERS - Chicago, IL

"We have used the software to send to all our members plus about
100,000 off the disk you sent with the software and the response
we have had is just FANTASTIC!! Our visits and sales are nearly
at an all time high!"
= A. FREEMAN - England, UK

"I have received over 1200 visitors today and that was only
sending out to 10,000 email addresses!"
= K. SWIFT - Gunnison, CO

"I'm a happy customer of a few years now. Thanks a lot....I love
this program.."
= S. GALLAGHER - Melville, NY

"Thanks for your prompt filing of my order for your broadcast email
software -- it took only about a day. This is faster than ANYBODY
I have ever ordered something from! Thanks again!"
= W. INGERSOLL - Scottsdale, AZ

"I feel very good about referring the folks I have sent to you
thus far and will continue to do so. It is rare to find a company
that does business this way anymore...it is greatly appreciated."
= T. BLAKE - Phoenix, AZ

"Your software is a wonderful tool! A++++"
= S. NOVA - Los Angeles, CA

"Thank you for providing such a fantastic product."
= M. LOPEZ - Tucson, AZ

"Your tech support is the best I have ever seen!"
= G. GONZALEZ - Malibu, CA

"I am truly impressed with the level of service. I must admit I
was a bit skeptical when reading your ad but you certainly deliver!"
= I. BEAUDOIN - Toronto, ON

"My first go round gave me $3000 to $4000 in business in less than
one week so I must thank your company for getting me started."
= A. ROBERTS - San Francisco, CA

"We are really happy with your Email program. It has increased
our business by about 500%."
= M. JONES - Vancouver, BC

"IT REALLY WORKS!!!!! Thank you thank you, thank you."
= J. BECKLEY - Cupertino, CA

----- ---- --- -- - -
[SOUND TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?]

** If you Broadcast Email to 500,000 Internet Users Daily...
** Do you think that maybe 1 of 5,000 may order?

=> If so... That is 100 EXTRA (COST-FREE) ORDERS EVERY DAY!!

Remember.. You have 30 DAYS to use our Broadcast Email Package
for FREE and SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!

If YOU are not 100% COMPLETELY SATISFIED, SIMPLY RETURN the
Broadcast Email Package to us within 30 DAYS for a FULL REFUND!

--- -- - -
[BROADCAST EMAIL SOFTWARE PACKAGE]: Easy Ordering Instructions
=> Once your order is received we will IMMEDIATELY RUSH out the
=> Broadcast Email Package on CD-ROM to you via FEDEX PRIORITY
=> OVERNIGHT or 2-DAY PRIORITY INTERNATIONAL the SAME DAY FREE!

------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
[TO ORDER BY PHONE]:
To order our Broadcast Email Software Package by phone with
a Credit Card or if you have any additional questions, please
call our Sales Department in the USA at:

=> (541)665-0400

** YOU CAN ORDER NOW! ALL Major Credit Cards are Accepted!

ORDER by 3PM PST (M-TH) TODAY -> Have it by 10am TOMORROW FREE!
EUROPEAN & FOREIGN Residents -> Have it within 2 WEEKDAYS FREE!

REMOVAL From Our Email List => CALL (888)352-5443 or (206)208-4589

------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
[TO ORDER BY FAX]:
To order our Broadcast Email Software Package by fax with a Credit
Card, please print out the order form at the bottom of this email
and complete all necessary blanks. Then, fax the completed order
form to our Order Department in the USA at:

=> (503)213-6416

------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
[TO ORDER BY POSTAL MAIL]:
To order our Broadcast Email Software Package with a Cashiers
Check, Credit Card, US Money Order, US Personal Check, or US Bank
Draft by postal mail, please print out the order form at the
bottom of this email and complete all necessary blanks.

Send it along with payment of $295.00 US postmarked by Monday,
April 29th, or $499.00 US after Monday, April 29th to:

NIM Corporation
1314-B Center Drive #514
Medford,OR 97501
United States of America

----- ---- --- -- - -
"OVER 20,000 BUSINESSES come on the Internet EVERY single day...
If you don't send out Broadcast Email... YOUR COMPETITION WILL!"

------- ------ ----- ---- --- -- - -
[Broadcast Email Software Package]: ORDER FORM
(c)1997-2002 NIM Corporation. All Rights Reserved

Company Name: __________________________________________

Your Name: ______________________________________________

BILLING ADDRESS: ________________________________________

City: ___________________ State/Province: _____________________

Zip/Postal Code: __________ Country: __________________________

NON POBOX SHIPPING ADDRESS: ____________________________

Phone Number: ______________ Fax Number: ___________________

** To Purchase by Credit Card, Please Complete the Following:

Visa [ ] Mastercard [ ] AmEx [ ] Discover [ ] Diners Club [ ]

Amount to Charge Credit Card ($295.00 or $499.00): _______________