Intra domain communications

  • From: "JosephK" <josephk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:51:06 -0700

Hi Thomas,

Long time for me to ask a question.  I've been working with this
article: http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004perimeterdomain.html

Creating the rules and all that went with the article was a snap. Thanks
for the good writing!  I do have questions though.
I actually want to add my web server in my internal DMZ to the AD domain
to make things easier and hopefully more secure when webs need assess to
the sql database and that's why I thought that this article would do the
trick.

I setup DC with 50000 and created all the protocols and access rules.  I
then went to my web server and tried to add that machine to the domain.
I received :
The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for
domain INTERNAL.CISMIC.COM:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.INTERNAL.CISMIC.COM

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a domain controller for the
domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a
DNS server automatically when a domain controller is added to a domain.
They are updated by the domain controller at set intervals. This
computer is configured to use DNS servers with following IP addresses:

172.16.0.2

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:

INTERNAL.CISMIC.COM
CISMIC.COM
COM
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Could all this be a split DNS issue? If so, It would be nice to see some
actual diagrams included with an update to this article that would help
solve this stuff.

Thank you,

Joseph Kravis and not Kravitz(to be fixed in next printing of your
book??) <grin>

I've been trying to trouble shoot this issue for awhile before asking
the list.