Intermittent DNS problem on new Windows 2000 and Exchange 5.5 ser ver

  • From: Nicholas Palmer <NICK@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:00:19 -0700

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem here.  I recently migrated my Exchange 5.5 Server
from an NT 4.0 to a new Windows 2000 box.  I've applied all the patches,
etc... to the 2000 box, and Exchange seems to run fine - emails go out and
come in.  But I'm having a strange DNS problem.  The 2000 box is setup as a
SecureNAT client, just like the NT box was, and I have the DNS entries for
my ISP's DNS servers so that I can resolve DNS and that works fine.  But
sometimes DNS on this new 2000 box seems to go out - so emails won't go out
because Exchange can't resolve DNS.  If I bring up a command prompt and ping
say microsoft.com it will come back as an unresolved address.  If I goto to
the IP configuration and say change the order of the DNS servers and then go
back to the command prompt and do the ping, it will work.  Sometimes I don't
have to even touch the IP configuration, it will just not work one time, and
then work the next time.  I know that its not a DNS problem because I can do
the same ping from the ISA server itself and it works.  So, did I miss
something here ?

Thanks in advance,
Nick.

Nicholas Palmer