RE: Installation of ISA

  • From: "Steve Bostedor" <Steveb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:44:10 -0500

        I think that there could be good arguments to do either.  One good
reason to make it part of the domain is for ease of administration if you are
using Active Directory. (as opposed to an NT 4 domain)  Group policies allow
you to secure the security according to a central standard.  With it being it's
own little domain or workgroup, you will be forced to administer policies on a
per server basis.  This often leads to mistakes and oversights.
        I see no advantage to leaving it in it's own workgroup besides the fact
that if it is compromised, the administrator password is not global.  There are
AD ways to make that not happen, too, and any qualified AD administrator should
know them.  It is also a false sense of security because if your ISA server is
hacked, they are essentially behind your firewall and the rest of your network
is already in jeopardy, administrator password or not!
        I suggest joining it to a secure Active Directory domain.  Do NOT,
however, make it a domain controller!  This exposes unwanted things to the
outside world (among other obvious reasons).  Just have it be a member server
in the domain and regulate it in it's own OU with it's own security policy.