Identify Unusual MAC Address

  • From: Amy Babinchak <amy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 10:28:21 -0400

This is somewhat off topic but I am hoping that our ISA may help me
identify this problem in some way. In the IP addresses that have been
assigned to my network via DHCP is one that has a very strange MAC
address. I have been unable to identify it. I have checked all equipment
(PC's, router, server, printers) and cannot seem to locate it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
52:41:53:20:80:a2:d2:c5:99:bb:c0:01:01:00:00:00

This is the MAC address listed in the DHCP server. All of the others
that the DHCP server has assigned addresses to have normal MAC address
this one is strange. Did intrusion detection miss something? Ping
requests time out to the address that the DHCP server has assigned to
this MAC and yet, when I release that address "it" requests and receives
another one almost immediately.

Amy Babinchak
Technology Consultant