RE: Idea for new question list

  • From: Tom Mendelboim <tomerm1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:53:23 -0500

Sorry for the delay...

My Polycom unit is using 6 TCP ports and over 15 UDP ports... If I want to
publish it or let it through the firewall, I need to create definition for each
port... It's possible but annoying. I dealt with other firewalls in the past
and they all had that option (port range). I can use H.323 for outbound but
inbound is almost impossible using H.323 because of other reasons.

Thanks,

Tom

> From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2003/03/08 Sat AM 11:53:37 EST
> To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [isalist] RE: Idea for new question list
>
> http://www.ISAserver.org
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> That is a frequently asked question, but I think its more of a design
> question rathar than something that can be fixed or "done". I suppose
> the design philosophy was that if a protocol were so poorly designed, OR
> required such a complex set of negotiations, that it would be better to
> let an ALG handle the connections, rather than having Protocol Rules
> deal with them.
>
> What type of applications are you thinking of? Online games?
>
> Thanks!
> Tom
> Thomas W Shinder
> www.isaserver.org/shinder