RE: ISAserver.org - Troubleshooting SMTP Server Publishing Rules

  • From: "josephk" <josephk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:45:53 -0800

Hi Thomas,

One thing I like to do on my exchange machine and relay machines is
change the banner to something different so others won't know what
version that I'm running.  Not only do we need to test we need to make
sure that someone isn't using banner sniffing as well.

Using a metabase editing tool such as MetaEdit, locate the following
file:
Lm\Smtpsvc\virtual server number

Click Edit, click New, and then click String.
Verify that the entry in the ID box is Other, and then type 36907
(decimal) on the right side of the ID box.
In the Data box, type the banner that you want to be displayed.
Stop, and then restart the SMTP virtual server or the SMTP service.
To confirm that the banner has been changed, telnet to port 25 of the
virtual server (the default setting). The "ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
6.0.3790.0" banner should no longer be displayed.

NOTE: The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) (as it was entered in the
SMTP service properties) and the date and time are still displayed. The
following text is an example of modified banner:
220 EXCHANGE2003.msfirewall.org **************** Thu, 30 Nov 2000
18:29:36 -0600

MetaEdit 2.2 is available for download by clicking the following
Microsoft link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/iis50/Utility/5.0/NT45/EN-US/MtaE
dt22.exe

Thank you,

Joseph

Author: Thomas Shinder
SMTP servers. SMTP Server Publishing Rules allow you to publish SMTP
servers on an ISA firewall Protect Network. The SMTP server can be a
dedicated SMTP relay, or it can be the endpoint of the inbound e-mail
messages, such as you Exchange Server. The SMTP Server Publishing Rule
allows inbound connections to TCP port 25 through the ISA firewall to
the SMTP server on the ISA firewall Protected Network. SA firewall SMTP
server publishing is popular, but along with its popularity comes a lot
of troubleshooting issues. In this article we'll take a look at one
approach to troubleshooting SMTP Server Publishing Rules.
Link: http://www.ISAserver.org/articles/2004troubleshootsmtp.html

Visit the Subscription Management
(http://newsletter.isoftmarketing.com/) section to unsubscribe.
ISAserver.org is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp. For
sponsorship information, contact us at advertising@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright (c) ISAserver.org 2004. All rights reserved.

Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com No.1 Exchange
Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org Windows Security
http://www.ntfaxfaq.com