[isalist] Re: [ISAserver.org Discussion List] Re: SP2 - This message OT.

  • From: "Young, Gerald G" <Gerald.Young@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:33:23 -0600

Unrelated but of probably particular interest is that SP1 on W2K3 also
changes aspects about DCOM permissions.  The property page for My
Computer in Component Services shows a different UI for the COM Security
tab.  Pre-SP1 had that tab named Default COM Security.

We had a server that was upgraded to SP1 that needed to be backed out of
but we were unable to uninstall it so we worked with PSS to manually
remove SP1.  After doing that, at least two applications couldn't be
installed.  One was MSBA 2.0, that kept giving the error that it could
only be installed on Windows 2000 SP3 and greater.  The other
application was ISS RealSecure Server Sensor that gave an Access Denied
error.  I was only able to get those applications installed after adding
the local Administrators group to the Access Permissions list under
Default COM Security.  On other servers, regardless of SP1 revision
level, only Self and System are entered there.  On SP1, though, there
are two permission settings: Local Access and Remote Access; pre-SP1
only had Access Permission as the single permission that could be
granted.  It looks like SP1 made some fundamental changes to how these
permissions are mapped and when SP1 was ripped out manually the pre-SP1
mapping wasn't restored properly.

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
  MCSE (4.0/W2K)