RE: ISA/VPN NLB on Win2003

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:42:57 -0500

Hi David,

I'm glad you brought that article up. But what does it really mean? From
that description, can you tell me what the problem is with using
L2TP/IPsec with NLB?

Do you think this article implies that with Win2003, you get "stateful"
fail over? And if so, how do you define state?

Do you think this article implies that when a member of the NLB array
(cluster reminds me of colon polyps, so I never use that term) fails,
the TCP state of the connection is completely known to other array
members and there is no interruption in service?

Do you think that all array members are aware of the SAs established
between the VPN client and VPN server it initially connects to?

Do you think that packets are evening distributed among all array
members from a single VPN client? (as this paragraph intimates).

Or, do you think the author of this article
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/pptpnbpart1.html provided a hint as to
what the problem with L2TP/IPSec was with Win2k in the first paragraph
until the sectoin header Details of the Combined ISA/VPN Server Problem
, and if he weren't so lazy, he would have given you a link to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=248346 which explains the problem
with the SAs and L2TP/IPSec :-)

And another thing, if I hear one more person mention the term "stateful"
without mentioning what they think it means, I'm going to bust a gut :-)

Have a great weekend!

Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder