RE: [ISALIST] Domain name issue

  • From: "Paul Nuernberger" <pen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:32:12 -0600

Re: [isalist] RE: [ISALIST] Domain name issueGiven your scenario,  the 'PDC'
(x.x.x.2) would ordinarily already be your DNS Server. On the PDC: click on
Start, Programs, Admin Tools, DNS.  Once it is open, drill down to your
domain in the forward lookup zones, select your domain so it's hosts are
listed in the RH pane, right click on the RH pane and select 'New Host'. In
the dialog box put in www with nothing else for the name, and fill in the IP
of the hosting server, leave the checkbox at the bottom unchecked. Done.

Putting DNS on the ISA server exposes AD to the world if you are ever
compromised - not good.  The safest bet would be to let your domain
controller be the authority for DNS/DHCP/WINS because in a small domain it
isn't usually doing much else (like AD replication, active DNS zone
transfers, etc.).