ISA/DNS problems, followup

  • From: "Peter Vogel" <peterv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:52:37 -0600

This is a followup to a posting yesterday. The followup appears below the
dashed line. I have repeated the initially posted description of the
problem.

Since implementing an ISA solution a few months back I have been plagued
with transient timeout problems for external users accessing our sites.
Both DNS servers are behind the firewall. Sometimes, restarting ISA
services would alleviate the problem, but only on a temporary basis.

I have now removed one of the DNS servers from behind the firewall and put
it directly on the ADSL feed. Presto, timeout problems have disappeared.

Does anyone have some insight into this? Shouldn't I be able to have both
DNS servers protected?

The DNS servers are on the LAN.

They are setup as DNS query servers under server publishing rules in ISA.

No forwarders are setup on them.

The DNS on the two servers are for the outside world only. They are not
used internally but they are part of the domain, an NT 4 domain.

The DNS servers listed in the DNS server properties page are the ISP's
DNS.

Both DNS servers are Windows 2000 and running MS DNS.