RE: ISA server on a DC

  • From: "Phill Hardstaff - SPC" <phillh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:40:57 +1100

OK, heres a question for you guys :

1) You want to authenticate your proxy server requests.
2) You are running an NT4 domain (yes there are still plenty)
3) You only have ONE box to install ISA on.

OK, how are you are going to get authentication requests from the ISA box to
your NT4 domain ? knowing full well that ISA cannot be installed on NT4 and
therefore cannot be part of an NT4 domain ? and you certainly don't want to
install ISA on a Win2K member server in your domain (well you wouldn't would
you ?)

Think about it ? I know one solution, and it involves what you are saying
not so do below. i.e. install ISA in it's own domain as a DC, and have a one
way trust with the NT4 domain, i.e. the NT4 domain is trusted by the ISA box
but the ISA domain is not trusted by the NT 4 domain. If you know of any
other way to get this work I would be interested.

What I am saying is that installing on a DC in certain situations is not a
problem (DC in it's own domain), everyone always seems to assume it's the DC
for the main and only domain :) and this may well be what this guy was
talking about, then again it may not.

Cheers

Phill