ISA not blocking ICMP packets as requested (SBS2K)

  • From: "Neil Myers" <neil.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Isalist" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 19:36:30 +0100

Hi!

I would normally post my MS Small Business Server 2K problems elsewhere but
this one seems to be more suited to this list.

We've been running SBS2K for about 8 months now and ISA is one area I've not
ever really looked at (other than to set up the SMTP Filter to block
'quarantine' various attachment types).

In all the time I have been running ISA I have never received any warnings
(although all are enabled in ISA).

As an exercise, I thought I'd have a play about with some of the IP Filters
to see how effective they are. I set up an ICMP block to test ping responses
(as in www.isaserver.org/pages/tutorials/dropping_icmp_requests.htm).

To my dismay, when I tried pinging our server from a remote location the our
server replied! So I tried pinging the remote PC and got no reply - I am
running ZoneAlarm (a *free* piece of software) on this machine. I tried
various other ICMP filters and these didn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong?  I am not too concerned at the moment - we're
using a dial-up ISDN account using dynamic IP's', but I anticipate that in
the near future we will be swapping to a DSL-type static IP service so I
need the thing to work.

Thanks

Neil

neil.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx