RE: ISA configuration for a simple network

  • From: "Paul Nuernberger" <pen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:18:23 -0500

You will need to create packet filters and mess about with a few other
settings.  Although it works under Small Business Server (2k and 2k3), it is
*not* the recommended solution (SBS has been specifically tailored so that
the proper packet filters etc. are already there for you).

Since the purpose of ISA server is to act as an 'application-level' firewall
(and is usually viewed as a bastion host), it would be far better to put
together a separate server to run ISA.  For small networks a low level PIII
with at least 256MB RAM and a 20 GB HD will work very well, for example.

How many clients do you serve, and what is the average load (average clients
at any given time).  Also, are these clients behind the proposed server, or
out on the internet ?  Do you serve web pages from a different server ?
What other servers are on your network ?  What is the likely growth of your
network over the 1-2 years ?

Paul Nuernberger