ISA back to back with a hardware firewall...

  • From: "Bryan Andrews" <bandrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:26:13 -0400

OK,

SO I have my sleeves rolled up, have bought 2 versions of a cheap hardware
firewall to try to make one work:

Linksys BEFSX41 Etherfast Firewall Router and the NetGear FVS318 Prosafe VPN
Firewall.

I am not convince that I can make this work with either of them, but worst
case, I will simply have the clients behind them do their own vpn connection to
ISA.

If anyone has any pointers (links) for doing this they are appreciated as I
have not been able to turn up much on this topic.

I'm inclined to go with the netgear product as it is an 8 port switch, supports
up to 8 tunnels (linsys is 4 ports and supports 2 tunnels), supports (reading
from box) box to box, client to box, Auth (MD5, SHA-1), manual key, shared
secret, Ipsec, DES, 3DES, Key Management (IKE, DiffieHellman, Manual).

I have only ever setup vpn via a client so any pointers are appreciated
(especially if it is not possible with these 2 router/firewalls).

Thanks all,

Bryan Andrews