Re: ISA, VPN and Routing!

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:46:09 -0800

You say you "have routing enabled" on the ISA.
Does this mean that the RRAS server is the ISA default gateway, or have you
just enabled IP routing in ISA?
ISA must use the RRAS box as the default gateway to the Internet if it's to
route properly.
Your ISA ISAInfo (http://isatools.org/isainfo.1.9.5.zip) and the RRAS box
ipconfig/all output will be very useful.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:49:17 +0530
 Risun Antony <risuna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi All,

I have a specific requirement and would like to know if this is practically
possible and if so some guide lines.

I have deployed an ISA box with a lot of help from the Guides and Articles
posted here.All my internal network exists behind this box.
Now i have two Internet Service Providers. I also have a remote site to which i
require VPN connectivity. This is configured using a windows 2000 server and
placed out side the ISA box. This box, which i will call the VPN box, has
multiple NIC cards. One of the NIC's is used for local lan, one each for my two
ISP's.
My ISA box also has Routing enabled to direct all requests to my VPN box.

My requirement is to be able to provide routing functionality on this server,
such that i can selectively pass traffic through my ISP's. This i am able to do
well enough on the VPN box. But my clients having a gateway to my ISA box, are
in no position to take advantage of this routing. For eg: If i do a tracert for
http://www.hotmail.com/ from my VPN box, it does find the target. But when i do
the same from one of my client machines behind the ISA, it finds till the VPN
box and then drops all packets destined to the internet. But the packets to my
remote network get routed to the VPN correctly.

Thanx in advance.

Risun Antony