RE: ISA Server is not a Firewall !!! http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_832659.aspx

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:00:51 -0500

Hi Idan,

This has been a known issues on the ISA Server message boards and by me
for at least three years. What I don't understand is why someone would
configure multiple external interfaces in this fashion, since its an
unsupported configuration. You can search Usenet and this mailing list,
as well as the ISAserver.org message boards for "multiple external
interfaces" and you'll see NO NO NO NO NO. Why in the world would you
have two NICs on the same network segment and have one for inbound and
one for outbound? OK, NLB scenarios, in which case you might want to
consider a real NLB solution like RainWall :-)

However, why am I concerned about spoof detection? The spoofed packets
are blocked anyhow, so what value is there to me knowing about it? I get
hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of exploit packets send to my
whimpy T1 and DSL connections here at my office. For the enterprise,
they get millions of these exploits. Do you think they have time to work
up every exploit packet hitting the edge firewall? They don't have the
time, nor do they need to spend the time.

Sure, it would be nice if the spoof detection feature didn't act this
way, but I don't see it as a signifcant, or even minor problem. It would
be a problem if I needed this information and if the lack of this
information had a deleterious effect, but I don't see how it does. If
you see a spoof detected on the external interface of your ISA firewall,
what are you going to do about it? Contact the ISP of the sender? ;-)

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder