ISA Server and the MS IIS SMTP Service

  • From: John Bishop <john.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:03:54 +1000

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get the IIS SMTP service working behind ISA Server (on a
different box, not the ISA machine).

I can:
- do a successful nslookup from the server and query name servers on the net
- do a manual telnet to an external web server and send a mail thru it.

This tells me that the SMTP service should be able to work OK.... but no.
When I attempt to send an email thru the SMTP service, the service accepts
the email from the client (in this case, Outlook Express) OK, but then logs
a error 4000 to the System Event Log with the error: "Message delivery to
the remote domain 'jbandshel.com' failed." (When I'm trying to send to the
jbandshel domain, of course.)

I've followed the instructions in KB article Q292278 (
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292278>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292278), but that
hasn't helped.

Oh, and I've got the Firewall client installed on the server that's running
the SMTP service.

OK... that's all I've got. This problem's got me beat, and like all such
problems, needs to be fixed yesterday :)

If anyone's got some suggestions, please send 'em on thru asap!

Cheers guys,

John