RE: ISA Server White list[Scanned]

  • From: "Steve Collier" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:41:41 -0000

Hi again Tom,

Thanks for your advice, one quick question is having created my "Deny
All" how do I then create the "Exception List". In what is it created?

Thanks again

Hi Steve,

OK, this is for Web browsing, not for SMTP.

Like Jim said, you really get into a pickle when you try to create such
restrictions. It is possible to create a "Deny All" Site and Content
Rule, then create an exceptions list. But what happens in practice is
that a particular site links to a another site that is not on the
allowed list. This leads to:

1. You making it an avocation to update your White list

or

2. Creating black lists instead of White lists

or most likely,

3. You going insane trying to get a fine level of control over what
people view.

I find that the best solution is to create a network usage policy, make
it clear to users what this policy is and that they're being watched,
and then post your reports of where users are going each week. Its sort
of like when I was a kid (in the old world order) where the grades were
posted in public. People who did good got kudos for that, and those who
didn't do good got to sit in the corner with a "dunce cap" :-)  That
gave the dunces the opportunity to work harder to get out of corner, or
stratify themselves and perhaps prepare them for their futures in
cell-block 9 ;-)

Give it a try and I think your boss will get a kick out of it. Just make
sure to remove his entries from the reports :-D

HTH,

Tom

www.isaserver.org/shinder

  _____

Many Regards
Steve Collier

Sender: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Recipient(s): isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 15:41:41 Sun 2 Nov 2003
Attachment(s): 0

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability
for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.

Warning: Although I have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, I CANNOT, & WILL NOT accept responsibility for any loss
or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

We accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences
of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that
information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended
recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.