ISA Server DNS Caching

  • From: "Young, Gerald G" <Gerald.Young@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:33:51 -0600

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the ISA Server deals
with DNS queries and caching.

From what I've been able to discern, ISA Server will not use the local
hosts file on the system (this configurable?) and instead grabs the
record from the DNS server.  However, changes made to the DNS server
that propagate out, and are then returning the updated record through
NSLOOKUP on the box for all DNS servers configured in the TCP/IP stack
do not take immediately.  The ISA logs still show the old IP address
being used.  Executing ipconfig /flushdns doesn't work, either.  After
about 15 minutes or so, ISA starts using the new DNS record.

This indicates that caching is going on someplace but I haven't been
able to find any additional information on how or where ISA caches DNS
records, nor can I find out how to clear that cache?  Service restart,
perhaps?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
  MCSE (4.0/W2K)
Atlanta EES Implementation Team Lead