RE: ISA Server Alert: POP Buffer Overflow

  • From: <Hugo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:21:36 -0200

Paul,

I have an internal POP3 server (EX2K) published with ISA. Some
external users access their maiboxes using their POP3 clients. When
there are a lot of messages in their Inboxes (surely more that 100),
ISA alert is triggered telling that there is a buffer overflow in
POP3, etc., not letting the users to download their messages. ISA
interrupts and the POP3 client starts over and over, and the messages
are never downloaded. So the external clients have to access their
mailboxes through OWA to "clean" the nonsense messages and try to
download the msgs again via POP3.

Obviously if I disable the "POP intrusion detection filter" in the
Application Filter folder, the above described scenario never occurs.

The question is, how can I fine tune the Application Filters (POP3 ant
the others available)? Paul, you said that after sending 4 KBytes the
filter is triggered, but what if I want to trigger it at 32 KByes? How
can this be accomplished?

Thanks,

            Hugo Caye

O__  ----