[isalist] Re: ISA Server 2004/2006 & Verizon DSL Connection

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:56:15 -0700

They can't.

They don't.

What they do is tell the installers that they only support Windows XP.

When Installer Joe finds Windows Server, he's found an "out" if things
don't work as expected.

Trust me; I've had to fight this particular battle more than once.

My favorite example:

(me) "I'm not getting ARPs from my upstream router"

(VZ) "what is your ipconfig/all?"

(me) <responds with this data (again)>

(VZ) "can you ping the default gateway?"

(me) "no; the router doesn't respond to the ARP requests."

(VZ) "yes, I heard that - what I need to know is whether or not  you can
ping your default gateway"

(me) "no, the default gateway does not respond to ARP, so it never sees
a ping request"

(VZ) "sir, can you please try to ping <remoteipaddress>"

(me) "it won't response because it'll never see the ping that I can't
send because my router doesn't respond to ARPs requests"

..and so on for most of the day...