RE: ISA Log

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:04:38 -0600

Hi Andrew,

You have to extrapolate from the information in the documentation. For
example, in medical school you learn the general symptoms and signs of
disease and then you learn the tools available to test the diagnostic
hypotheses you make, Then you learn the typical result patterns are the
disorder you're testing for. However, since each patient is different,
the books obviously can't give you exact values, exact symptoms and
exact signs. It would clearly be impossible to include information about
every possible expression of a recognized disorder and every possible
diagnostic value.

However, if you replicate the configuration in the docs in your LAB, so
that you see how its done correctly, you'll learn the principles behind
the procedure, you'll get experience performing the procedures, and
you'll learn where the "gotcha's" are and the details that can mess
things up if they're missed and you'll see patterns that you can apply
to your own diagnostic approach.

I've found the practice of network/computer management and
troubleshooting is as challanging as the medical DX/TX processes, and
the keys to success, like in any other form of endeavor are:

1. Learn and understand the basics
2. Build on that understanding of the basics by learning more complex
concepts and procedures
3. Spend time in a controlled lab environment where you know everything
is going to work and make your mistakes there, and learn from your
mistakes.
4. Carry over what you've learned from the basic and complex concepts
and from your lab experience to the actual practice of the procedures in
situations that vary from the lab expereince, but where the same
principles apply and can be generalized to situations that vary from the
lab.

HTH,

Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder