RE: ISA - Exchange traffic not captured in report jobs

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:41:57 -0500

Hi Paul,

Are you using packet filters or publishing rules to publish the Exchange
Server? Keep in mind that if the SMTP service is on the ISA firewall
itself, it uses a packet filter to send outbound messages instead of
Protocol Rules, so that traffic will not be included in the reports or
the packet filter logs. You could enable logging for allow filters, but
you haven't seen nothin' yet in terms of log file sizes if you do that
;-)

BTW -- just another reason not to run enterprise groupware servers on a
Firewall.

HTH,
Tom,

Thomas W Shinder