RE: ISA Design Question: Best Practice

  • From: "David V. Dellanno" <ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:38:25 -0400

Thanks Stefaan...that makes sense.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Stefaan Pouseele [mailto:stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx]
        Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 3:49 PM
        To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
        Subject: [isalist] RE: ISA Design Question: Best Practice

        Hi Tom,

        I believe that some major switch vendors (Extreme, Cisco, ...)
have some sort of authentication agent on their boxes. You can compare
that feature roughly with the new 802.1X  standard for Wireless
Networks. If I remember well it works as follows:

        1) when you plugin a device you become a member of a initial
VLAN who has only access to a DHCP and authentication server.

        2) after authentication and maybe selecting a profile, you are
assigned a new IP address and the port is put into another VLAN.

        3) it is the membership to a particular VLAN who determines what
you can do on the network.

        Greetings,
        Stefaan