[isalist] ISA 2004/Website issues

  • From: "Ellis, John P." <johnellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:47:18 +0100

We have a pair of ISA 2004 Enterprise server's setup with NLB, each
server has two NICs. (Both NLB'd and each NLB'd NIC is in a separate
DMZ) External DMZ (192.*) Internal DMZ (10.*)

There is a publishing rule (1 of about 25) that publishes an internal
webserver running IIS.

The publishing rule is set for http & https.

The publishing rule is set to listen on one IP address is defined and
listens on the External DMZ

It listens for requests on www.<website>.com and for <website>.com

And directs traffic to the Internal DMZ

The webserver is on the same range of IP as the Internal DMZ.

The webserver runs IIS and hosts 4 other websites, also published via
ISA.

Recently we have had issues with intermittent access to the websites
from external sources.

What we have noticed, is.

www.<website>.com does not load and you get server busy message (not a
standard IIS message but one from the application running on the
webserver)

<website>.com will load and work OK.

If you use www and then specify a subpage that will also work

Today, it's the reverse of the above and specifying a subpage after the
domain works OK.

The other websites on the server load OK using either www or just
<website2>.com

The websites work fine from inside the network as the traffic does not
go via ISA

If we do a rule on the firewall to bypass the ISA server this works
fine.

After the issues we had with NLB we thought the issue was resolved and
it did work fine using www or <website>.com for about 3 days and now its
playing up again.

A reboot of the ISA servers doesn't resolve it neither does a reboot of
the webserver.

Watching the traffic on ISA, I can see the request coming in and getting
passed to the webserver and a GET is issued to the webserver and that's
where it stops and the error "sorry server too busy" is displayed.

I have tried firefox on Android, Firefox Portable, IE on a Windows 2003
server in the DMZ and the same happens.

Also the same at home as well.

I'm confused.

Any thoughts people?