[isalist] Re: ISA 2004 access to skills.netacad.net

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <Ray.Dzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:38:23 -0700

Ethereal is dead.
Long live Wireshark.

Q 1.2: What's up with the name change? Is Wireshark a fork?
A: In May of 2006, Gerald Combs (the original author of Ethereal(r))
went to work for CACE Technologies (best known for WinPcap).
Unfortunately, he had to leave the Ethereal(r) trademarks behind.
This left the project in an awkward position. The only reasonable way to
ensure the continued success of the project was to change the name. This
is how Wireshark was born.
Wireshark is almost (but not quite) a fork. Normally a "fork" of an open
source project results in two names, web sites, development teams,
support infrastructures, etc. This is the case with Wireshark except for
one notable exception -- every member of the core development team is
now working on Wireshark. As far as anyone knows, there has been no
active development on Ethereal since the name change. Several parts of
the Ethereal web site (such as the mailing lists, source code
repository, and build farm) have gone offline.