[isalist] Re: ISA 2004 SP2 two ISP's; not load balancing or HA, just another connection

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:24:28 -0500

It was a long drawn-out discussion we had a year or so ago.  I think Jim
still shudders at the memory...

Basically, to summarize, you can connect as many ISP connections
("external" connections) as you want to your ISA 2004 server, but they
won't work right.

The problem arises due to multiple routes, and only "one" default
gateway.

As an example, if you publish a website through your ISA server, the
following scenario can happen:
- A client will do a DNS lookup to view your website, and connects
through ISP B.
- The web request makes it to the webserver, which returns the page to
the ISA server.
- The ISA server looks at the IP address of the client, and determines
that it is not a "local" address, so it sends the response back through
ISP A (the one with the default gateway).
- The client's web browser times out because a reply is never received
from the IP it requested it from (through ISP B).

I got it working partially, but it was a nightmare to get working and
maintain.  So, we decided to invest in RainConnect instead.