[isalist] Re: ISA 2004 SE with Virtual Server guest: SQL 2005?

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 18:42:30 -0500

Hi Edgardo,

Your scenarios are quite a bit different than the security heresy that
is SBS. Inline....

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Site: www.isaserver.org
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

Since technically the VM isn't a public facing device, I don't see a big
problem with it. However, I don't know how robust the virtual networking
is with Virtual Server. There's a LOT of traffic that might need to move
through that virtual network interface.

> Scenario 2: (Less likely to transpire.)
> Perhaps a Virtual Machine on ISA is not necessary, and we can install
> SQL 2005 'side by side' next to ISA on the same box?  Since we do not
> want to log anything else to this SQL instance, obviously all ports
> that SQL uses will remain 'closed' to the local host (which would also
> be ISA).  Can ISA SQL logging connect to a local SQL Server engine
> (not MSDE)?
This would be a better perforamnce solution, and you also don't need to
worry about limitations of the virtual network interface. This is no
different than running MSDE on-box, so I'd go with this solution.
This scenarios are *nothing* like the running a DC/Exchange/Web
site/collaboration site on your firewall :)