RE: ISA 2004 Enterprise Edition and SMTP

  • From: "Young, Gerald G" <Gerald.Young@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:19:07 -0600

Well,

That's what I'm trying to determine.  Obviously, if the box that ISA is
sitting on is running SMTP and messages terminate there, GFI will work.
My question deals with how messages are relayed through ISA that is
publishing an SMTP server that isn't local to it.

So, you have the following:

SMTP sender -> hardware firewall -> ISA w/ SMTP Published Server ->
hardware firewall -> SMTP server

               Allow any to ISA     Requests come from ISA
Allow ISA to SMTP

Even in the above case, do messages still hit the Drop directory on the
ISA box and are then placed in the Pickup directory, and then sent
onward by SMTP service running on the ISA box?

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
  MCSE (4.0/W2K)
Atlanta EES Implementation Team Lead