ISA 2000, I-mail SMTP & HTTP Not Functioning Correctly Together

  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:27:17 -0500

Hey Experts,

Ok, I have looked in the Imail help archive, Imail knowledge base, the ISA
Server list message archive, http://www.isaserver.org, ISA Server SMTP
Server Support article and tried the suggestions and have not found the
solution that works.

Test Environment, These Are Not Currently Production Machines:

My firewall server is running MS 2000 Server, SP4, current with critical
updates and patches, ISA Server 2000 SP1, Internal NIC, External NIC.

My mail server on the inside NIC is running MS 2000 Server, SP4, current
with critical updates and patches, IIS5,  Ipswitch's I-mail server 8.02, two
FQDN's setup for smtp, pop3 & http.

My client machine on the internet MS 2000 Pro, SP4,  current with critical
updates and patches, Outlook 2002 XP, with the e-mail accounts outgoing
server settings set to "my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

Here's My SMTP Experience:

Using my client machine I send an e-mail message from philja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
on the internal I-mail server to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx a known working
e-mail account on the internet and I receive the following bounced message:

      Sent:     8/15/2003 3:00 PM

      'webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx' on 8/15/2003 3:00 PM
            550 not local host prophoto.com, not a gateway

I then look at the I-mail server logs and it shows the
philja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx account not authenticating. I then look at the ISA
2000 Server application event viewer and it gives me the following error
message.

Event: 20031  Source: SMTPevt  Description: an unknown SMTP command  Data:
AUTH   LOG   IN

I can send a message from the webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx to the
philja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx without issue.

The "nslookup" information looks correct, the "netstat -na" info looks
correct, I can telnet to the mail server without issue, I've tried secure
mail publishing, SMTP server publishing rules and it is just not working.

Here's My HTTP-Mail Experience:

>From my client machine I attempt to logon to my I-mail account using my
browser and http://mailhost.okcrecovery.com:8383 address and receive the
following error message,  "page cannot be displayed"

So anyway, if someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong I would sure
appreciate any help!

Thanks,

John