IPSec through Cable router

  • From: Brian Hoover <brianh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:44:03 -0400

Hello All,

If this has been covered I apologize.  I haven't found this issue on
isaserver.org.

I'm trying to run IPSec/VPN client connection through a D-Link DSL/cable
router.
The connections have been verified with PPTP.  L2TP has been verified with a
direct connection to the ISA external I/F but after adding the D-Link NAT
router the connection barfs with err 791, L2TP failed because the security
policy was not found.

Config 1. Works for both L2TP and PPTP
workstation -> ISA -> LAN

Config 2. PPTP but no L2TP
WS -> NAT-Router -> ISA -> LAN

I only know a thimble full about IPSec, so my first question is are there
any recommendations for a reference that is somewhere between the RFC and
the dummies books?

Also if anyone can shortcut me to the direct answer, that would be
appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Brian