RE: IPSec NAT-T is not recommended for Windows Server 2003 computers that are behind network address translators

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:27:02 +0200

Hey guys,

I think I begin to understand what they are trying to tell us. In the listed
scenario the sequence is as follows:

   Client#1 --- Internet --- NAPT --+-- Server#1
                                    !
                                    +-- Client#2

1. The NAT device will forward all inbound traffic to UDP 500/4500 to
server#1

2. Client#1 (initiator) setup a SA#1 with Server#1 (responder)

3. Client#2 (initiator) setup a SA#2 with Client#1 (responder)

At this point Client#1 was initiator for SA#1 and responder for SA#2.

4. SA#2 timeouts for whatever reason and *IF* Client#1 (initial the
responder) tries to setup the SA#2 again to Client#2 (initial the initiator)
packets will of course be send to Server#1 because of the single forwarding
rule in the NAPT device.

Question: is this a common scenario?

Answer: I don't think so! Therefore, I believe it is something to taken into
account only in this specific scenario. Moreover this can be solved by
implementing 1:1 NAT for those IPSec devices behind the same NAT who must be
responders.

Comments?

Stefaan