I do not mind a RTFM response if you believe my level of competen ce is so low, but Please respond.

  • From: Peter Selenic <pselenic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:48:50 -0000

Before reading this e-mail or opening any attachment you are advised to read
the disclaimer at the end of this e-mail

This is my second post to the list. I do not mind a RTFM response if you
believe my level of competence is so low but I have attended the Microsoft
"Deployment and Manage Microsoft's Internet Security and Acceleration
Server" course and read Zubair Alexander's book "ISA server 2000" as well as
hunt Technet. Please respond.

I have spent hours on this one.   Two questions, is there a good resource
for understanding the WebProxy logs. The patterns between a working and non
working website are clear.

Secondly, since moving to ISA a number of Websites which we are required to
log into e.g. Ecctis, forever return the login box. Others are OK.

Learn direct utilises Macromedia Authorware to enable students to update
records utilising the "Electronic Paper" application on the web. This fails
also as records do not get updated.

We utilise the Webproxy client rather than firewall as Surf Control reports
need a username, but I am not certain this is the issue anyway. Learn direct
recommend using rtsp but this is only streaming media and is not an issue
here.We swapped from Microsoft Proxy 2.0 to Microsoft Internet and
Acceleration
Server (ISA) just after XMAS. Microsoft Proxy 2.0 did not give the same
issues.

 All of our IE5 clients access the web using WebProxy service.

 We have an access policy which allows the following protocols HTTP and
 HTTPS

No destination sets are in place, we utilise Surf Control to limit access
 to undesirable sites.

All HTTP requests are listened to utilising TCP Port 8080 for all IP
 addresses.

My only response when I asked the UK academic community was as follows.

>Peter

>We use ISA and Surfcontrol
>with port 80 mapped to 8080

>the problems that the site being hit replies on a different port number
which is not mapped
>and as such the rule says you are not allowed by ISA to access this unless
you have the appropriate authority
>normal an admin authority

>If you manager to get the NON STANDARD ports that these folks are using
please share the info
>You may also have the problem if you use Microsoft's media player version 9
>(left hand right hand)

I did stress that 99% of our network traffic is fine, we utilise both Web
and Server publishing rules as well, so I cannot understand this response!.

Many Regards

Peter Selenic
Network Services Manager
Epping Forest College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only.It may contain
confidential or sensitive information.The contents are not to be disclosed
to anyone other than the addressee.Unauthorised recipients are requested to
preserve this confidentiality and to advise us of any errors in
transmission.Thank you.