Re: I Need to PING

  • From: "isa" <isa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:39:09 +0200

Thank you very much.
It's working now!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Harrison [mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 17 April 2002 07:01 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] Re: I Need to PING

http://www.ISAserver.org

No external host will ever ping an internal host while ISA stands
between them.

Here's what you can do:
1. Create a packet filter allowing ICMP Ping Queries and limit it to:
    only the IP addresses of the DR DNS servers (Remote Computer)
    only the IP address that the DNS servers are published on (Local
Computer)
2. Create a packet filter allowing ICMP Ping Response and limit it to:
    only the IP addresses of the DR DNS servers (Remote Computer)
    only the IP address that the DNS servers are published on (Local
Computer)

That way, ISA will respond to them, but refuse pings from anyone else.
This gives them the impression that they're pinging your DNS, while in
fact, they can't touch it.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/
Read the books!