Howto make ISA server a VPN client

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <m.hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ISAList" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:35:30 +0100

Hi folks,

I am currently evaluating a scenario in which an Exchange Server behind ISA
connects to the ISP's mail server via VPN, thus elimiating the need for a
static IP address. Now I'm facing some problems of understanding which you
can hopefully help me get rid of.

- Do I have to make ISA or the Exchange Server the VPN client?
- ISA does not support L2TP-tunneling, does it? I would rather not use PPTP,
as does the provider
- So, do I have to set up a static route to the ISP mail server on the ISA
machine? With RAS? (btw I already tried that but the route seems to work
only on ISA itself? - of course it didn't work but I wanted to see what
happens :-)
- Can this route point to an interface that I created with the VPN wizard of
RAS?
- Or is this configuration completely impossible?
- And finally if it *is* possible, what kind of packet filters to I have to
set within ISA? Can I use Tom's article on ISA to RAS connections as a
guideline or is there some substantial difference between a
gateway-to-gateway configuration and my idea of ISA being a "client" for
that matter?

As always, thanks for listening!
Mark