Re: How I spent my Christmas vacation - Email found in subject

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:50:34 -0500

So, we're stuck on a debate that has been going on for many years now.
Do you disable NDRs to reduce backscatter or leave them on to comply
with older systems?  Do you filter by valid recipient to reduce
backscatter and increase your risk of a harvesting attack, or do you
enable all incoming and increase the chance of a NDR flood attack?

If you really-really want to follow Microsoft's guidelines, re-read the
article you just quoted.  Microsoft "recommends" that you set it up the
same way I have my system set up.

But, like you said, this discussion has digressed into something a bit
off-topic, no need to keep kicking it up.  This debate has been argued
for many years now, and I see no end in sight.