Hosting Your Own SMTP Mail on Exchange 2000 (Off Topic?)

  • From: "Tom Rogers" <trogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:17:16 -0400

We currently have a "catch-all" email alias with our ISP. We use Exchange/Pop3
v5.x to go out to our ISP and download all our email into our Exchange 2000
server. Exchange then routes the email properly. The ISP is now doing away with
the "catch-all" email alias because of SPAM. So now I would like to host my own
SMTP mail with our internal Exchange 2000 server.

Can anyone point me to any articles on setting this up, especially since my
Exchange 2000 Server sits behind an ISA 2000 Server. I would need to filter
messages (spam) and have delivery rules (route emails per conditions) setup as
well.

I have a cable modem connection to the Internet, we have a registered domain
name (which is NOT the same as out internal Active Directory domain name), we
have a dynamic IP addr (but use Dynip - like TZO, as Dynamic DNS service). I
need to know about the MX record and who would host that for me (would Dynip?),
and how to setup ISA server 2000 to relay SMTP (or do I publish my Exchange
Server?)

Thanx,

-Tom