[isalist] High CPU/memory utilization for w3wp.exe on UAG

  • From: Rob Moore <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:34:31 -0400

Hello-

We've been having some trouble with our new UAG server. It's barely in
production at all-currently it is just our VPN server. We're going to be using
it to publish SharePoint and some other things. But we've been running into
problems with it slowing to a crawl and then we can't log into it, not even
locally. Happens about once a week. Today I happened to be logged onto it
talking to Dell about the problem (the event logs suggested that it might be a
hardware issue), when the server began to really slow down. I looked at the
Task Manager and saw that CPU utilization was at 100% and nearly all of the 8Gb
of memory was in use, too. Both were being hogged by the w3wp.exe (IIS Worker)
process. Sending an "iisreset" command from the command prompt fixed the
problem (at least for now).

I haven't found much that seems to be helpful in the event logs. I think the
suggestion that the issue was hardware related is a red herring. I think
because CPU and memory were so busy, Windows just thought slow responses were
due to hardware issues.

Any ideas about what might be causing this and how to stop it from cropping up
over and over? Hard resets are getting old and not really appropriate once we
get the server into production.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Moore