Help! Firewall stops working after adding more IP's to NIC

  • From: "Michael Anderson" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:04:56 -0600

Hello,

We are running ISA Server w/Windows 2000 Server SP3.

We have business class RoadRunner (Cable Service) for our Internet Access,
and as of yesterday, we just upgraded to 13 IP's versus the single Static
that we had.

After changing the primary IP of the NIC card to the first number in the new
block, the server came up just fine and all was well.  Then after feeling
confident that the new configuration was working properly, I decided to bind
the remaining 12 IP Addresses, so we could start using our new numbers (for
Server publishing).

After I do that, the Firewall Service no longer wants to start.  I keep
getting Event log messages of the following:

     "Microsoft Firewall failed. The failure occurred during Initialization
of Network Address Translation (NAT) because the system call InitNAT failed.
Use the source location 308.1113.3.0.1200.50 to report the failure. The
error code in the Data area of the event properties indicates the cause of
the failure. For more information about this event, see ISA Server Help. The
error description is: A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I checked the Support site at MS, in addition to the help files, and it came
up with nothing that was of any help.

How could adding more IP's to the External NIC Card cause all these
problems?  Is it because ISA is confused as to which IP address it's
supposed to NOW use (due to multiple IP's being bound to the card), when
doing NAT?  I thought the first number in the list would be considered the
default number.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to fix this?

Thank you all very much in advance for anything you can throw my way.

Mike