[isalist] HTTP Redirects

  • From: "Rob Moore" <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:24:26 -0500

Hello all-

Using ISA 2006 Standard.

We have an Apache server on our network.  We are using the Apache server
to add a forced redirect from HTTP to HTTPS for some pages on one of the
sites served by that server.  If your browser is on our network, this
works fine.  Apache replies with a 302 status, and a location header
that includes https://site.domain.tld/file just like it should.
However, if your browser is outside our network the reply seems to have
been edited so that the location header now reads
http://site.domain.tld/file (note the lost 's').  This causes the
browser to enter a redirect loop where it tries the unsecured page
repeatedly, and then fails. Since the only difference is that the
request is going through our ISA server when we're outside the network,
it seems like the ISA server is responsible for the problem. I'm not
even sure how to set the monitoring filter on the ISA server, though, to
show me what's going on.

To complicate matters a bit, I don't know how to get the
internally-generated certificate off the Apache server and into the ISA
server. So I published it using the "Publish Non-Web Server Protocols"
wizard. It was working fine until we started using the Apache server to
redirect HTTP requests to HTTPS.

Is there a way to prevent our ISA server from doing whatever it's doing
that seems to be updating this response header? Or is there a better
approach? (Like, maybe getting the cert off the Apache server and into
the ISA server so we can publish the site like a normal web site?)

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Moore
Network Manager