RE: Front End Firewall

  • From: "Stephen Herrera" <sherrera@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:15:15 -0700

Hi Tom,
I setup the server with the vanilla install and imported my rules and they all
work. This is not how I really want to install my ISA server though. I like the
fact of being able to set it up giving it the knowledge of where it lies on the
network. Setting it up this default way makes me wonder what security I am
giving up by not having it know that it is the front end firewall. Almost as if
I am duping it into working. Plus, I would rather install it correctly the
first time rather than try and make a huge type of configuration change later
on down the line.

What doesn't make sense to me or the knowledge I am lacking is that even when
ISA server itself creates its own rule for the perimeter network to have
unrestricted external access the traffic is still not allowed to pass. I have
finally convinced my corporate office to drop Sonicwall and switch to ISA and I
would really like to have this understood before I go out there and implement
it for them.

Steve